May 31, 2009

End of May Garden Blooms

oak leaf hydrangea bloom
There are about a dozen oak leaf hydrangea plants scattered in the flower beds around our cottage. It is always astounding to see how quickly these plants grow during the month of May. Heavy, white blooms are now scattered among the handsome green foliage. They are simply gorgeous.

Star of Gold daylily
The Star of Gold daylilies are always eager to respond to the early summer weather. Our many other types of daylilies will be showing their fancy blooms next month. When I took this picture, I was surprised to capture a light glow in the bottom throat of the flower.

The French lavender bed is absolutely huge this year, with tall stalks of blooms reaching for the sky. The plants are not quite ready for their first harvest and may be ready in another week or two. I’ll be sure to share some photos before I start clipping away!

14 comments:

  1. So beautiful!! I have only one hydrangea, and after three years it decided to bloom this month!! They really are gorgeous flowers. Love the day lilies too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hydrangeas are in full performance right now too and the lavender is just wild...I love it! Always good to enjoy before the Summer heat zaps their energy...and mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, so beautiful.....Your yard sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous flowers. I have a hydrangea in my front garden, but it isn't in flower yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all your flowers and bird stories! I have hydrangeas and lilies blooming and recently purchased a lavender plant . Hopefully it will grow and do well in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!!! Hope you're tending to that knee?!!! I know...Marty took these!Hahaa...night sweetie!hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well we are getting a frost tonight, so I'm hoping my hydrangea will not freeze, no blooms yet, mine doesn't really do much till early fall. Although I did plant an early bloomer last year, hope to see some flowers this year. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, lovely, lovely! I so love to see your photos....!!! Makes me smile and feel good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful plants; beautiful photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you think Marty could come down and take our family portrait on the beach? LOL.
    Hugs.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the signs of Spring! beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos! I love when my daylilies bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos!

    I have no luck with hydrangeas and I've planted over and over. The same with lavender, just no luck. I wonder if they need cooler temps than what we usually get here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful flowers..
    living at the beach is wonderful
    but I do miss my garden ..

    ReplyDelete

Marty, here! Donna loves comments, and I faithfully pass them on to her. Thank you so much for visiting!