Isn’t this furry fellow adorable?! We arrived home late last night, safe and sound from our polar bear adventure. The trip was awesome. I hope you were following the Churchill Polar Bears Blog this past week! Here are a few highlights of our trip:
- There was no snow when we first arrived, making it easy to spot the bears.
- By mid-week, there was a blizzard!
- Several bears were downright hilarious with their antics and wacky bear positions. Who knew they were so agile?
- When the wind blows at 40 miles per hour, snow is horizontal!
- I was within a foot of one these gorgeous creatures, as it climbed up the sides of our tundra rover! I had to back up slightly to make sure that his face was in focus.
- We took tons of pictures. No surprise there!
- The school bus taking us home from a night-time buggy ride lost its windshield wipers in the blizzard. We sure were glad to have an experienced driver who knew the road by heart!
- We saw as many as 19 bears in one day.
- In addition to polar bears, I saw ptarmigans, an arctic hare, and a red fox.
- The food and accommodations in Churchill leave a lot to be desired.
- The last rover day was the best for bear viewing, and it included a mom with her very large cubs. They were all too cute for words.
- We made several new friends on our tour!
- Our original helicopter trip was cancelled but rescheduled when the weather improved. The snow-covered tundra looked awesome from the air.
As a special treat, I hurried up and prepared for you a watercolor version of one of my photographic images.