August 30, 2009

Tzaziki Sauce


We haven’t visited Greece yet, but it is on our travel wish list! We certainly adore Greek food. We had chicken pitas for dinner tonight, served up with homemade tzaziki. Using Greek yogurt, this recipe makes a great authentic sauce. You can substitute with regular yogurt, but you will have to drain it for several hours (using cheese cloth or coffee filters) to remove excess liquid.

Tzaziki Sauce

2 cups plain full-fat Greek yogurt
2 teaspoons fresh garlic, pureed
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 English cucumber, seeded and grated on large holes of grater

½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic, and ½ teaspoon salt. Sprinkle the remaining ½ teaspoon salt over the grated cucumber and drain, 10 to 15 minutes, to extract excess water. Add drained cucumber to yogurt, along with pepper, and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour. Yield: 2-½ cups.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful Donna! I just made plain old chicken tonite and would love to find ways to do something different with chicken. Greece is on my bucket list and hopefuly I will make it there one day. Hope you are geti
    ting some reST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love Tzatiki
    Yummmmmmm.
    It is so fresh and Tangy ...Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have never had any Greek food before...where does one find Greek yogurt? sounds like a very tasty pita!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this last night from my IPhone but it wouldn't let me comment....Sounds wonderful!!hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had that, but it does sound good. I did fall in love with a Greek one time, does that count? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I'd make a good Greek cause I do not like yogurt, none of it, nope. The cucumber part sounds yummy though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made tzaziki once. We had friends over for dinner with a wine tasting. The theme was Mediterranean. Everyone brought a dish and a bottle (or 2!) of wine. (I made several dishes.) It was such fun. My recipe calls for adding fresh dill.

    ReplyDelete

Marty, here! Donna loves comments, and I faithfully pass them on to her. Thank you so much for visiting!