August 20, 2011

Photo Challenge: Portraits

It’s time for another Brenda Photo Challenge! The theme this time is Portraits. As my long-time blogging friends know, I am not a portrait photographer. First of all, a ready supply of willing subjects is not available to me. There is also an art and a science to posing people, proper lighting indoors, and then digitally processing the images to get flattering skin tones. Portrait photography is just not my thing! But I took some photos during our recent Alaska trip that fits the bill well enough for this challenge. 

When our little tour group traveled on the Alaska Railroad between Denali and Wasilla, we couldn’t believe how well our conductor fit the image of his position. He was handsomely distinguished in his uniform and had a charming personality. As photographers, we were all smitten. We wanted him to model for us! Our tour guide worked his magic and the conductor agreed. What a good sport! So at the next stop, we momentarily disembarked and had a quick photo shoot with him. I decided to take one of my images and digitally process it for an antique, weathered look. The camera settings were f/6.3, ISO 1000, and 1/2000 second. I had to laugh when I saw my statistics later on because I forgot to change the settings I used to take photos from a moving train. A speed of 1/2000 second for this portrait is overkill of the highest order! 


I finally got a long-awaited wish fulfilled when I saw puffins on this last trip. I just love how funny they look! We saw some on the boat trip, but I was excited to find them at the Alaska Sea Life Center in Seward where I could see them up close. I spent almost all of my allotted time on the tour in the Seabird Habitat room, photographing puffins! There are two species found in the North Pacific Ocean habitats: horned and tufted. There were a few tufted puffins that swam close to the edge of the giant exhibit pool, so I proceeded to fill up one of my digital photo cards, LOL. The lighting was horrible for photography, with a mix of tungsten-type overhead fixtures and harsh, direct light coming in through some windows. So trying to get the right color balance on the raw images is quite a challenge. Ah, but the results are so worth it! This puffin portrait was taken at f/5.6, ISO 1000, and 1/400 second. 


This last portrait is kind of wild, but I want to mix things up a bit with a fun digital effect! We had a delightful visit with the dogs at the Kantishna Roadhouse’s kennel (Denali National Park). Emmitt Peters, Jr., a past winner of the Junior Iditarod, rescues the dogs and trains them for competitions and demonstrations. Emmitt learned mushing skills from his father, an Iditarod champion and member of the Hall of Fame. We could tell that all of the dogs had unique personalities. One of the most photogenic of the group was Eddie, with piercing blue eyes. I had fun playing with this photo crop of him. I recently downloaded Adobe’s free pixel bender plug-in for the Photoshop CS5 program, and the “oil paint” filter results in cool effects. So this photo is of sled dog Eddie on a pixel bender, so to speak! The camera settings were f/9.0, ISO 500, and 1/320 second.


I hope you go check out the photos of the other challenge participants!

22 comments:

  1. The puffin portrait is fantastic, the way he poses looks like a smug fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your portraits are wonderful! The personality of each on comes through loud and clear!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man that dog's eyes were looking right through me. So beautiful.
    And I was so excited to "see" the puffin. I'm from Maine and the Puffin is the Maine state bird and I've never seen one in real life so your picture is probably the closest I'll ever get. LOL!
    The conductor shot is GREAT. He was a good sport and no matter what speed your camera was on it still came out fabulous.
    Have a great weekend.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice I enjoyed the puffin.I rarely shoot people,my portraits are of flowers and critters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Donna! How Gorgeous these are! Love them all but Eddie grabs me!! Look at those EYES!!!
    The vintage look for the conductor just WORKS!! Love the look...I'll bet he also fit the look! COOL shots!!!
    Can't wait for more!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome!
    Great portrait pictures!
    Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, these are great, Donna! Love that the conductor posed for y'all. :)

    The puffin pic is awesome!!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I LOVE your Conductor! The animals are beautiful of course! I know what you mean Donna, I'm not comfortable taking people pictures other than friends and family. Much prefer nature or inanimate objects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! Your portraits are all breathtaking. I think the effects that you used on the conductor one is awesome but they are all wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a beautiful job for someone who's not a portrait photographer! I'm guessing any picture you take would be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all your portraits. I'm not so good at taking pictures of people but then I don't have many people to practice on either.
    All 3 of those are just amazing and I really like the effect on Eddie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool portraits! Lovely details. Eddie's have a dreamy appeal to it. The eyes are so clear -he just stares back.. such a haunting photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool portraits! Lovely details. Eddie's have a dreamy appeal to it. The eyes are so clear -he just stares back.. such a haunting photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm like you and have very few people portraits, but surprised myself when I found a few pics for this challenge! I love all your pictures. Your portraits are GREAT! I envy your editing skills - I can almost feel the texture of the dogs hair through the computer. I've never seen or heard of a puffin before, but am blown away with your picture!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Donna. As usual some fantastic shots. I was interested to see what you'd do because as you said, you don't do a lot of portraits. But you Should! They are amazing. Good on you. and Thank you.
    And thanks for visiting my poor little offerings. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Meant to say I absolutely LOVE the PUFFIN photo...I had never heard of them before where have I been all my life..in the southern hemisphere (under a rock, I think). Had to look them up on google.
    I also love the conductor photo.Very clear!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your portraits all three of them. Good Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW...wonderful amazing photos, donna....but no surprise there....do you hang these all over your house? if i took that great of a photo....i don't think i could hide them in a book or leave them on the computer!!!
    ready for more!
    kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  19. My mouth is hanging open....awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Donna, you outdid your self this time around. What incredible shots! Conductor is classic looking, Puffin is cute shot and husky is very mesmirizing. Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are so wonderful. I love them all.

    ReplyDelete

Marty, here! Donna loves comments, and I faithfully pass them on to her. Thank you so much for visiting!