February 5, 2016

Ask Donna - Thoughts Behind a Photo Composition


Are you ready for the first “Ask Donna” post? Let jump right in!

Cheryl made the following comment on the last Photo of the Week post:
I have been taking note of your compositions, what you include in your shots, and what the eye is drawn to, the balance. Perhaps this is something you could talk about in an "Ask Donna" post? How do you choose the elements to include in a photo?

Thank you for that great suggestion! Below is the image for your reference, as I go through and give you a peek into what rolls around my wee noggin before clicking the shutter button. This is an interesting composition. It is a careful study of contrasts. I was mentally repeating the word “contrast” as I walked the scene, sizing it up, and figuring out where to set my tripod down and how to frame with a zoom lens.

Tip: Help identify your subject matter by picking an assignment or theme.



I have discovered that one of the blessings of attending photo tours and workshops is that there is time devoted to carefully setting up your shots. At famous locations such as the Thomas A. Moulton barn in the Tetons, you certainly want to get the iconic compositions done first. But then you have the luxury of walking around and working the scene, looking for compositions that represent your own vision.

In this case, I wanted to place less emphasis on exactly where this shot was taken. Many avid photographers would probably never be able to precisely guess the barn’s identity from this composition. But that was my point. The subject is not the barn (despite the title on my blog post). The subject is a study of contrasts:
  • Man-made structure in the wilderness
  • Mountain backdrop to a flat valley
  • Winter turning into spring
  • Cool colors versus warm colors
  • Sky meets earth

If only a horse was tied up to the posts at the end of the barn! That would have been perfect. But there is a hint of mystery in the photo – a door with a padlock. What’s on the other side? I love to include doors or windows in compositions because they help the viewer’s imagination.

So there is an example of my thinking that goes into a composition. At this point in my photography hobby, I have pretty much mastered the technicalities of camera operation and Photoshop. Now I can settle down and spend a little bit more time in the field to think about the subject matter and what I want a viewer to see and feel. Before I click the shutter button, I mentally envision what I want the finished image to look like.

It is a challenge to work the shots and find compositions that are not run-of-the mill and ordinary. But I have found that themes and self-assignments (in this case, “contrast”) help to pull my work in a more artful direction.

Bonus Tip: Use a tripod!

A tripod will force you to slow down because it takes more effort. You will automatically think more about the composition through the viewfinder. Added advantages are sharper images and the ability to shoot at lower ISO settings (less noise).  In casing out a scene, I like to initially walk around with a camera hand-held to test out possible compositions.  Then I set up my camera on a tripod.

14 comments:

  1. You really have a photographers eye! I must say that all those different contrasts in one scene must have been a beauty to behold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Donna, for considering my question (despite my glaring typo! Hello, elementary school grammar class!), and for allowing us a peek inside your thought process as you set up a shot. Your tips will be helpful!

    Before joining your photo challenges, I thought taking a picture was taking a picture. I knew what I liked to see, but no idea of how to accomplish something specific. I still have a long way to go, but your insight has caused me to "see" things in a whole new way and I love purposefully capturing moments in time through my lens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Typo, what typo? Haha, I didn't even notice it until you said something. I simply copied and pasted. The typo is fixed! Thank you again for your thoughtful comment. It got me on a roll this morning, trying to explain what kind of mindset goes into a shot. Just as you have to slow down to hear God's voice in your everyday life, you also have to slow down to hear your creative voice.

      Delete
    2. Now that was interesting. I have a question if you're still taking them. When you are photo editing, how do you know when you have tweaked enough? How do you know this far and no farther? Or is it not that much of a science and just all subjective?

      Delete
    3. Miz Vee, I will add your inquiries to the list! Stay tuned!

      Delete
  3. composition has always been a weak point with me. this was very informative. I'm going to like this series

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cheryl for asking that question! I loved hearing your thoughts Donna! And I like Vee's question too! I don't have a real camera right now, I use my phone, but I love to learn and want to take better photos. I will use what you said here - thinking through a theme or idea. Ask myself what am I trying to capture.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a helpful and thoughtful post! I'm still struggling with how to step up and do more with my life, including improve my photography and writing. This really helps me with more than just composition, but also with the bigger challenge of selecting shots and purposefully looking at the landscape. I'd have the same question as Vee, but i'd also like to know how useful are the workshops you go to? How much do you get out of them? Is it worth the investment? Still think of you regularly, and now the thought comes with an image of the Tetons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting, your kind thoughts, and excellent questions! I’ll add your questions to my list! I should be able to post another Ask Donna answer this next week. Stay tuned...

      Delete
  6. Thank you for explaining what goes through your noggin! I just point and click my phone and could never imagine being as great at it as you are!Plus I can't comprehend PhotoShop LOL. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You explain your process so very well. Composition is an important skill and you've got it down pat. Tripods help me get better photos, but I find that lately I mostly snap on the run. Taking time and slowing down, as you've suggested, really would help me. Thank you, Donna, for sharing your expertise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Snapshots certainly have their place. I take them too! But if you want more “wall hangers,” you will take more care and get better results with a tripod.

      Delete
  8. What a way cool photo, Donna! I love all of these wonderful contrasting elements. You have great insight as to what to include...and to make those imaginations run wild! This new "Ask Donna" thing is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always learn so much from you, my friend! Thank you for sharing this post. I tend to feel I have to hurry to capture what I see but with guidance I will 'play' with the scene to see what effects I might have missed in a rush. Great help.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete

Marty, here! Donna loves comments, and I faithfully pass them on to her. Thank you so much for visiting!