Above is a photo of another rustic window along the Church Street side of a historical home in Charleston. If I had the presence of mind during my photo shoot, it would have been nice to do a panorama setup on the building. There was some crazy good texture going on! Ah, I will remember to go back to this location during the next visit to Charleston.
Activities have finally settled down well enough to give you an update on how we are doing. We’ve had a few low points lately, and we hope to catch an upswing. Mr. Jim’s breathing was getting extremely poor last week, and his resting pulse rate was scary high. After conferring with some medical professionals on the phone, we headed off to the emergency room on Friday morning. He got a thorough workup and testing by an excellent team of doctors and nurses.
The diagnosis was bilateral pulmonary embolism. The condition is common for pancreatic cancer patients. Mr. Jim had an IVC filter operation in early April to prevent large blood clots from going to his lungs. Unfortunately, it looks like multiple small blood clots got through and started congregating together. Hence, the labored breathing and high pulse rate. Further tests determined that he sustained some heart strain, but no heart damage.
So Mr. Jim was in the hospital from Friday through Sunday afternoon, getting an abundance of medical attention and a heparin IV drip. Once the IV was finished, he started taking xalerto, a blood thinner pill. He will be taking that for months to come. We had some scary moments and got through them! Mr. Jim is now resting up for chemo round #5 next week.
We also talked things over during his hospital stay and decided to cancel our long-awaited Newfoundland trip scheduled in July. It broke our hearts to have to cancel two years in a row, but it is the prudent thing to do at this point. We were especially looking forward to photographing adorable puffins and staying at one of the beautiful Elizabeth J. Cottages along the Newfoundland coastline. But it wasn’t meant to be. If Mr. Jim can rally later on this summer with the help of the chemotherapy regimen, we will explore the possibility of a road trip that would pose minimal exertion.
That's all for now. You can expect my self-imposed blogging slowdown to continue for a while. Life takes priority. We greatly appreciate your continued support and prayers!