September 17, 2014

Photo of the Week - Ready for a Hummingbird's Life





This year’s ruby-throat hummingbird youngsters have grown up, and they are hungrily feeding before they start their long journey southward in a couple of weeks. A few telltale red spots at the base of the throat reveal that this is a juvenile male. Eventually, he will develop a full and colorful gorget.

Studies have shown that hummingbirds return every year to the same area where they hatched, and they even visit the same feeders. I probably won’t recognize this feathered friend next year, but we’ll fill up the feeders at Grey Havens cottage to welcome him back!

16 comments:

  1. He's gorgeous. What a beautiful shot that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great photo! Tie a ribbon around his leg. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely shot, Donna! We love the hummers here too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic shot of that sweet little hummer! They are definitely a highlight of my spring & summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a detailed photo!
    I have heard that Hummingbirds return to the same feeding places too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photo. Fly well, little hummingbird!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful shot! I captured one last week, a straggler, but haven't seen any since although I hear there are still in New Brunswick. That means you'll have stragglers down there for a while yet too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't that remarkable, that the return to the same places and even same feeders. And to think it all happens by chance! ;-) Beautiful photo. Can't wait til he earns his colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice you caught this one sitting still. I have not been able to attract hummers at this house yet. Wrong flowers I think. I am working on butterfly and hummingbird plantings this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful shot! I have hummers and purple martins that all come back to me..and then I have other gorgeous birds that I WISH would come back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what a beautiful shot Donna!!
    Perfect!!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMYGOSH...I can count the feathers on this handsome young fella. Your photo is STUNNING....so so clear and sharp.

    ReplyDelete

Marty, here! Donna loves comments, and I faithfully pass them on to her. Thank you so much for visiting!