February 21, 2015

Tennessee Ice


Several of my blogging buddies have been checking on me via e-mail and asking whether the power has stayed on at my house.  Thankfully, yes!  I had a neighbor call me Thursday night, so it was nice that somebody locally touched base with me about my welfare too.

Road conditions improved enough so that I could finally get out of the house mid-day yesterday.  I dropped Angel off for a bath and nail trim at the dog groomer, while I went and got a much-needed haircut.  It was the first time that I had ventured out since Monday morning.

I’m homebound once again because another winter storm rolled during the night.  It’s round two, delivering more snow and ice.  Sleet has been hitting the windows for the past couple of hours.  I’m praying that the power continues to stay on and that it will warm up enough this weekend so that I don’t have to try to clear the front walk again.  Poor Angel is getting a gentle toss off of the front porch now (less than a foot off the ground) into the flowerbed so that she can do her business.  You can rest assure that she despises the weather as much as me!


Long icicles hang off the gutters around my cottage.  I took some more photos on Thursday, while the sky was a pretty blue.  (Today, it is a dismal gray color.)  At one corner of the garage, icy water has been has been furiously dripping on top of a holly tree.


I can sympathize with the tree’s current state and see it as a metaphor.  Life can dump on you in a big way, and you simply have to wait it out, enduring until conditions improve.


The icicles in front of my bedroom window were in the 12-18-inch size range two days ago.  They now extend to ~2 feet.  I took all of these photos with my handy little iPhone.  The focus isn’t the best on this icicle close-up, so I decided it was a good candidate for a painterly version too.


Thank you for all of your good wishes.  If you are getting a healthy dose of this winter weather too, I hope that you continue to stay safe and warm!

23 comments:

  1. they're beautiful, but i'm hopeful this storm will be kind to your powerlines, too! laughed at your loft of angel into the flower bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched a little news this morning from the USA and they were talking about Tennessee and the ice storm. People caught on highways overnight. Brrrr. I'm glad you are safe at home, Donna, and I will continue to pray the power does not go out.
    We're having unseasonable warm temperatures out here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Que bom! Boas notícias!
    Meu abraço com o calor do nosso verão e o meu carinho.
    Good! Good news!
    My hugs with the heat of our summer and my affection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are staying warm and hope you continue to be fortunate to keep electricity! Your pictures are gorgeous although, I know we will all be ready for spring to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty photos of that blue sky and ice. I see that the icicles are clinging to each other, but they will melt and drop and water the earth. Do get that Angel dust out of your flower beds at the earliest opportunity. (Just sayin') We are saying a prayer for the power to stay on everywhere and we are praying that we don't get walloped tonight. What a winter. I really like your metaphor; it is true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that ice sends a shiver up even my hardy Wisconsin spine! Brrrrrr, and so hard on shrubs and trees! Hope you stay safe and warm and that Angel forgives you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so SO glad to learn your power has stayed on, and pray it will continue to do so. Also happy to hear that a nice neighbor checked on you; that's a huge blessing!

    The photos are beautiful but brrrrr. LOL

    It's so nice that you have that little Angel. :)

    Take care, and keep us updated. Okay?
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. as cold and dreary it can be it is so pretty...! Hope you can sit it out til the sunshines again...xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you were able to get out for a bit. We're getting another round of snow today. We haven't had the ice thankfully. That stuff is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your icy pictures, especially the icicles. I'm sorry your weather is so icy though. I think snow is much easier to handle even up here. So, take care and don't slip and fall. It will soon pass and you'll be having spring weather way before us. Hugs. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, your ice pictures are so pretty!! Have you ever noticed that ice or snow in photos is so much prettier than it is when we have to deal with it in real life? I mean, a post card scene is magical, but the nitty gritty of shoveling or slipping or being housebound is just not as much fun. :/

    So thankful that your power has been steady...and I continue to pray that it remains so!

    Insightful metaphor...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad someone checked on you
    Glad you got out for a little bit. We are snowed in which is better than iced in. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy cow!! I've been watching your weather, what the heck and why this year...Right...you don't need this..I'm guessing it really brings to light the chores that were generally your hubbies I'm sure it is lonely..Thank God for Angel! We need to see some more puppy pictures now that she has her haircut and manicure! What a great photo of the icicles..You could submit that last photo to a contest!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...those are amazing photos, Donna. I hope round two won't last as long as round one did! A couple of days of being snowed in can be fun but then it just gets annoying! Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YAY for power and heat and getting out. I know the icy conditions are terrible for your area. I was in TN once when an ice storm hit and cars were going in the ditches all over the place. We Michiganders, just kept driving slowly onward.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ice is the worst! We are cold here, but very little snow on the ground...everything has gone out east this year...

    ReplyDelete
  17. In spite of your metaphor, the icicles are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brrrr! I can handle snow, but ice - that's something else! Wish I could transport you (safely) to our sunny and unseasonably warm weather here in Oregon.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved your metaphor and I needed a reminder today as well, so I thank you. Wow you all got a ton of ice! Your photos are beautiful. So glad you haven't lost power and prayerfully won't. Happy you were able to get out of the house. I finally went out and whew it felt good. Sending you light and love Donna xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Way too cold for your neck of the woods! Brrrr. Your little Angel will certainly appreciate spring when it comes.
    It does make for some nice pictures though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The ice on the holly tree is very cool! We are freezing up here! Although it got into the low 30's yesterday and the upper 20's today, we are headed to below zero nights again this week! I can't wait for spring! Glad you got out for a while..

    ReplyDelete
  22. We had ice yesterday...a bit rainy, so naturally, it had to be freezing out!
    But Nothing like this! YUCK!
    Stay safe girl!!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous pictures, Donna. Be warm! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Marty, here! Donna loves comments, and I faithfully pass them on to her. Thank you so much for visiting!