August 24, 2015

Changing Vision




As most of my faithful blogging friends know, I thoroughly enjoy wildlife photography. The recent Nashville workshop featured Americana subject matter, so wildlife was in extremely short supply. An unfriendly, resident cat at Cannonsburgh Village in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, was the only critter spotted during that week. I snuck up on him while napping and quickly got off a few shots before he fled the scene.

I had muscle surgery last Friday on my left eye. That makes four eye surgeries in two years. Sigh. I have been seeing significant double vision for well over a year now. The imbalance occurred when I developed a prolapsed lacrimal gland in my right eye, and swelling from surgical correction worsened the degree of strabismus.

I originally developed strabismus, with my right eye turning inward, as a child. I lived with the condition until I had surgery about 25 years ago. It was largely corrected, but binocular vision still remained off by a couple of degrees. It has been very difficult to adjust to last year’s visual developments. My brain could not simply ignore the double vision. It has been confusing and debilitating, on top of everything else I’ve had going on (caregiver, husband dying from cancer, hernia surgery, widowhood, broken foot, etc.)


Since my right eye previously had muscle surgery, it was not a good candidate for a repeat operation. Thankfully, both eyes track. The left eye – which didn’t turn inward - had to be the one adjusted. It sounds illogical, but it’s not.

Enough of the history lesson, and fast forward to the present! The doctor is very skilled and experienced. He concluded that my condition was stable and a surgical solution was the best option. I have a nice travel break right now and can significantly heal up before my next trip. A friend graciously offered to take off from work and accompany me for the day, lending emotional support. God bless dear friends like her. The family across the street had fun taking care of Angel for the day. I sweated out possible complications from anesthesia, but I got through surgery and recovery just fine. Based on vision tests after I got most of the anesthesia out of my system, binocular vision was right on the money. I could see in 3D for the first time in over 50 years.


Amazing. All of you with binocular vision should be getting down on your knees every day and thanking God for such a cherished gift. Seriously.

I didn’t get to enjoy the effect for very long. The surgeon loosened up temporary slipknots to bring the vision just slightly off. As the muscles heal, they will tighten up again should bring it all back together again.


In the meantime, my left eye is blood red and mucky. As you can imagine, visual acuity is not very good at the moment because of the muck. There are multiple stitches (six are visible), and they scratch like a Brillo pad. It’s annoying, but the temporary bother is a small price to pay. My eyes look straight and are working together. Antibiotic and steroid eye drops are required four times a day. Total recovery time is estimated to be about six weeks, with some minor precautions in the first two weeks. The doctor called me over the weekend, quizzed me about how I felt, and assured me that everything was normal. I’ll see him tomorrow for the first of several post-op checkups.

I deeply appreciate your prayers as I heal and go forward in this latest life chapter!

19 comments:

  1. So, so glad to hear the surgery went well, Donna. Hopefully, it won't be too long for complete recovery. I'm a bit concerned about Rylan; as you probably know she started wearing glasses when she was 2/12 or so. I can always tell when she puts them on, that she can see better.

    I'm happy that your friends and neighbors help you out; such a blessing. Take care!+

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord for expert doctors! How wonderful that your friend was able to help you too! Will continue prayers as you continue to heal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Donna, I can't imagine how frustrated you must be to have to deal with all this. It seems like one thing after another just piling up on you.
    Hang in there sister. There are better days to come, I am sure.

    hugs
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful news, Donna. I'll be praying for your eyes to heal well. So happy that a friend accompanied you and that your neighbors watched Angel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the best to you dear lady, and than God indeed for skilled doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great news. I'm so glad to hear it went well. I'll be thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad your surgery went good and you are healing nicely. You are one tough lady! And that picture of the cat is stunning considering itvwas just an infriendly guy hanging around! I personally would love more cat pics! Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying that all continues to heal very well. Your doctor sounds amazing. I have never given much thought to binocular vision and so I will certainly thank God for it. So many things we take for granted I am sure. Take care of yourself and get those drops in! Love to you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donna, I'm so glad you had the surgery and will pray that it works beautifully for you and you have wonderful vision. I've never heard of this problem before and it must have been difficult for you with photography sessions and all. Take care Donna. Sending love and hugs and prayers for a complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you had a successful surgery, Donna! I'll be sending good thoughts and prayers your way for a quick and full recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great report, Donna! So excited for you! Prayers for your swift recovery!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad this went well; yet another reason to be thinking of you. I developed an eye disease as a teenager and had two cornea transplants. The left eye never came out of it with clear vision, so I've always only seen clearly through one eye. Never gave me many problems until recently, but the muscles in the left eye are now so lazy that that eye is shifting and creating double vision, at least whenever I'm tired. I can sympathize and wish you the best. Good vision makes SUCH a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  13. whew! when it rains it pours, Donna, and glad you're doctor was successful in the surgery. How are you and Angel doing?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad to know the surgery went well. I am praying for a good recovery.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  15. What wonderful news Donna. I was wondering how things went. So glad you are on the road to recovery, may it be a speedy trip.Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, as always.
    Hugs for you and Angel!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank God for wonderful blessings! So glad your vision is going to be better and happy you had friends that were there for you and Angel. You've been through so much and have remained so strong. I admire you. I know you have meltdowns but you keep bouncing up and get things done! Not easy by a long shot. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is heartening to learn that your friends came to your aid during the time of your surgery! It is also good to hear that your doctor thinks that your healing is progressing normally! May you continue to heal and find help. (Psalm 121:2 is a comforting verse!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have been a bit slow catching up on your news Donna. Do hope your eye is continuing to heal well. I am feeling very thankful for my eyesight, especially after hearing your story.
    The mountain range photo in your latest post is amazing Donna. Wow.
    Continued prayers for you daily Donna.

    ReplyDelete

Marty, here! Donna loves comments, and I faithfully pass them on to her. Thank you so much for visiting!