May 25, 2016

Photo of the Week - Portland Head Light Morning




Cape Elizabeth, Maine

It was a very cold morning in late April when I took this panorama image of Portland Head Light. A fleece jacket and gloves were required! A dusting of snow was on the ground when our group headed out before dawn. An early arrival had its rewards, with a beautiful glow from the sunrise and no visitors except for our small band of photographers.

At 225 years old, this is one of the most famous of the lighthouses along the eastern coastline. According to the latest Portland news, the scenic beauty is temporarily marred until June. The historic structure is covered with scaffolding and getting a fresh coat of paint. 

7 comments:

  1. The light is amazing - worth getting up for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love it. My new favorite. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful...how did you get down there? I didn't know that they were painting this year...excellent. It has needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...225 years old! I can't even imagine the people then...their lives...
    Beautiful shot!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Donna! Glad you braved the nippy weather. I saw this lighthouse when we lived in Maine. You did an outstanding capture :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Donna, I didn't know you were back blogging until I saw you at Birdie...I hope you are learning to live again...and I think of you often.

    ReplyDelete

Marty, here! Donna loves comments, and I faithfully pass them on to her. Thank you so much for visiting!