December 23, 2011

Christmas is Almost Here!


Where has the time flown? This month has zipped past faster than any other this year. It’s to be expected since we’re still living in that alternate universe! Hubby is doing incredibly well at the rehab facility and getting stronger each day. He has been a big hit with the staff and several have already mentioned how much they are going to miss him when he leaves there. Right now, he still working on his balance and he is beginning to learn how to walk with a cane. We expect that he will come home in another week.  

Things haven’t been going quite as smoothly for me. After being immersed with so many people the past few weeks and all the “to and fro” activities, I have caught a nasty cold. Yep, somebody flung cold cooties on me! Grrrr… I woke up with the telltale onset of symptoms Monday morning. What lovely timing! {sarcasm} I am using an arsenal of over-the-counter medicines, resting when I can, and trucking along anyway when I can’t. At least my workweek is now over and I have a long weekend to rest up and visit with my sweet baboo.  

With sickness descended upon me, I freely admit that I am less than enthused than ever about taking photos now of this year’s decorations. But here are a few scenes I took in our cozy great room. Garland is strung on the stairway banisters and a few Santas are hanging out on the staircase in back of the loveseat. A Santa needlepoint pillow also gives a little pop of color. In case you are wondering, that is some of our Alaskan Native art collection peeking off to the right of the photo. And a cherished grandfather clock resides on the stairway landing (made by hubby’s uncle, now deceased).  


The commanding feature of our great room is the expanse of built-in bookcases along one wall. I put out a few cheery decorations on either side of the television. Though I have an extensive Santa collection, I decided to display a minimum amount this year. A snowman that I made in 1998 dominates this scene. (A tag on the bottom serves as a reminder!) With an apparent burst of energy, I made about a dozen snowmen that year and gave all but two away. The bookcases hold a small assortment of treasures, books, pictures, and small antiques that we have accumulated over the years. If you look closely, you can spot a corner of an antique cowbell in the background on the right-hand side of this photo.  




A large, wild-eyed Santa is the focal point in this scene. It looks like he is ready to deliver a couple of miniature pull toys to some lucky children. We got this folk art piece from Colonial Williamsburg last year. A hand-carved wooden Santa to the right is holding on to a very plump bear. Each piece has a story of its own. Many of them were acquired during our travels or at craft fairs. Some were gifts. And this particular photo gives you a little taste of the types of treasures that we have in the bookcases, including pottery, carvings, and baskets. 



















I hope that the hustle and bustle of activities is winding down for all of my blogging friends so that you may enjoy the joys of the season!

12 comments:

  1. So glad that you did some decorating for you and your sweet baboo. That's right. He'll be home in a week and that's still plenty of time to enjoy the Twelve Days of Christmas. As I recall, you are an Epiphany kind of gal.

    Working on balance and the proper use of a cane will keep your hubby busy as all get out. Isn't it wonderful to see how the therapists work to help him? I always found that a fascinating process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh! Just in case I forget, do have a Merry Christmas. I have a feeling that the Rehab folks will even know how to help get that right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all things go well for you and your husband this holiday season.Hope you get over the bug that has come to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Donna, So sorry to hear that you are sick... Gosh Darn--that wasn't supposed to happen, was it???? Please relax and take care of yourself so that you will get to spend time with your Sweetie...

    Love your decorations especially that Santa Pillow... How awesome is that.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you decorate this well when you are sick, what must your home look like when you are feeling up to par! It is just lovely Donna!

    Take care and take it easy! Don't let that cold relapse on you (like mine did to me)!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update on hubby! I bet they will miss him :) But, I know you will be glad to get him home!!
    Thanks for decor tour. Love everything!
    Merry Christmas, Donna!
    xo, misha

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to hear that your husband is coming along nicely in his recovery but sorry to hear that you are under the weather. I hope that this long weekend gives you time to recover.
    Your Christmas treasures are wonderful and I love the way you have the displayed.
    Wishing you and your a very Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my friend, I'm so sorry that some mean person threw their nasty cold cooties on you! I do hope you get better soon.
    I love your Santa collection and you mentioned not giving away two of those snowmen? That means you have an extra? I collect snowmen! I'm just sayin'. LOL!
    Thank you for letting us get a peek at your lovely Christmas decor'.
    Feel better my friend and have yourself a very Merry Christmas!
    Hugs
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh No! Not the time to get sick Sweetie!! Not good for Hubby either...Chicken soup and BED today Girlie! If it's a sore throat, call the Dr and get something for it.
    Now...Assuming you've already done all this, Merry Christmas to my Sweet and generous friend! I LOVE all the Santas and your photography is Gorgeous...Tell Hubby Merry Christmas for me and to hurry and get well and get Home!
    Tell Marty I said to get in that kitchen and make you that soup!Hahaaa
    (((HUG)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful decorations, Donna! I'm sorry that you've got a cold..bad time of year to not feel so good. I don't recall if you showed us those built-in bookcases, but I bet I loved them because I love the little bit I can see in these pictures! Have a Merry Christmas and I hope you honey is home with you again within the week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by a little late but the wishes are the same. I hope you had a good Christmas - and I hope you are feeling better now. I'm dealing with the nasty cold 'bug', too. Someone shared it with all of us when we had our family Christmas celebration on the 17th. We've all taken our turns but I think we're going to be fine. Take care of yourself, my friend. Hoping your hubby can come home soon.
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! I hope Christmas was wonderful for you and looking forward to lots of beautiful pictures in 2012 from you! : )

    ReplyDelete

Marty, here! Donna loves comments, and I faithfully pass them on to her. Thank you so much for visiting!